Sunday, May 29, 2011
Book Ban
I added another "Things I never thought I would say" to my list. I really didn't think it would come to this. I mean how ridiculous is it that this needs to be? Everyone is ready for school to be done, ready for a new routine. I understand. However there are still two more weeks left of school. Two weeks ago was just too early to check out of life and into fiction. There are still assignments to turn in, projects to do and turn in, big reports to write and turn in, piano music to practice, dance recital performances that could still use some practice, Scout things to complete before birthdays to reach goals, Faith in God things, Personal Progress goals. There are things to do with deadlines. There are things like piano and dance that we don't have to keep paying for if there really is no interest or going from an A to an F in school classes is a choice they can decide to live with, same with Scout advancement and Young Women's Personal Progress (these things aren't for me)...uproar...how could I be so mean just because they don't want to do anything right now but read fiction books and reading is educational? First it was Harry Potter that was banned last week (this is the third or fourth time reading the entire series). After hour long bathroom trips and finding books hidden under the bathroom step stool or a towel thrown on the floor, under pillows and blankets, and the not even hearing me ask if they have homework because they are too busy reading; we have now upgraded to no books unless required for a school assignment. I'm not anti reading. Really. I'm not necessarily pro negative reinforcement either. I'd let them spend a week or two obsessed with books -if they didn't have other responsibilities. I do realize there are worse problems that some families have. Still. I have to be the parent- no matter what the addiction is. I need a lock on my bookshelves. Just until summer break.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hahahaha! We do that too! Usually, though it's if you've gone to bed later than 8:30, you can't read in bed. But our kids love to read. Kurtis told me once that when he was a kid, his parents would ground him from reading, too! That's awesome. :D Keep up the good work.
When you come to visit you're hoping to have a read-a-thon right?
Very funny! I think I need to ban myself from reading too. I have a big to do list too, but it is really hard to stop reading I can sympathize with your kids. Two more weeks you can do it!
Post a Comment