Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Looking Forward

I've been thinking lately about what direction I want to take my blog in 2014.  I have been blogging and then transferring it over to a Blurb book.  Since no one really reads my blog anymore I'm thinking about not blogging and just writing directly in a Blurb book.  That's one option. 
I've also noticed that some of my blog posts last year were opinions/editorials more than just family photos and updates. A good handful of opinions I never bothered to publish. Are the opinion posts more whiny than helpful or do you that read my blog like hearing that side of my personality?  Do you wish I got back to more of the family update and photo style?  I do have enough opinions to take my blog into an entirely editorial style, but is that what anyone wants to hear or is there enough of that in the world already? 
Maybe do book reviews of the books I'm reading? 
I've also thought about choosing a topic to base my scripture study on and was thinking about writing my notes in a sketchbook along with drawings, but I could write them on my blog.  Would that be fun, interesting, or just boring?  For my scripture study/sketchbook I'm thinking about God's women=women in the Bible up to modern day and His role for them.  That sounds like a lifetime of research and a topic that there are lots of books about so I'm not sure.  Maybe a more in depth look at earth, air, water, fire based on my RS lessons the last couple years both spiritually and scientifically. Or maybe human touch. 
I'm open to thoughts so let me hear yours.  Especially if you are a closet reader and enjoy my posts...only you never comment so I don't know you're there.  It would be good to know if there is an interest in me continuing to post or not and if anyone has an opinion or not.  Less and less of my friends are updating their blogs anymore so I haven't really been able to keep in touch with them that way, so I might still check on the 2 people I think still blog once in awhile and keep my blog up?  I don't know.
I'm also thinking about quitting my Facebook account. I originally signed up because my teens are on it, but they aren't actually on it much.  Ana tells me Facebook is now for old people and people her age tweet or text or instagram.  My kids aren't on Twitter or Instagram.  Well, Ana has a Twitter account so she can keep us updated on the ski team news for Isaac so we know if a practice or meet gets cancelled, but we have to ask her to check it.  So my purpose of just knowing what my kids are up to is not really valid on Facebook anymore.   A few friends post fun, interesting, and clever things and I like catching up with them.  But the "political" stuff(a lot of people) and mean stuff (a couple of people) I know post or just forgetting what they say is public is getting me down or draining my energy or I'm getting angry about it.  I know I shouldn't care, but I just haven't seemed to learn how to bite my tongue completely or not let mean stuff bother me ( I can instinctively and impulsively become a passionate defender of the underdog-whatever "side" is being picked on), so it might be better for me to just stop using it.  It's just really bothering me that the media is so either/or, no balance- either you are a feminist and for women holding the priesthood or you are pro rape; either you hate Chickfil-A or love that Duck Dynasty guy, either you like the tea party or you hate America.  It surprises me how many people jump on the bandwagons and put me as a hater on the opposite side of any side just because I don't "like" something or dare to disagree and try to categorize me as one or the other; when my view points are more well, in my opinion, more "middle of the road", sensible, and thought through than just a black or white passionate impulse.  It also bugs me when people get offended that someone didn't catch their bad news and send condolences or say stuff like "now I know who really cares about me".  I also get tired of seeing stuff shared by places with the "F" word or any swears in the title.  It also bugs me when people say I shouldn't care about that.  Anyway, I've been getting really annoyed so I'm thinking I just need to get off.  I might just go to checking once a month in case people message me instead of every day when I'm looking for something to do while waiting for kids to come to the car after their activities.  I'm really not thinking my "online presence" is detrimental.  I don't know, I suppose we will see what 2014 brings.

2 comments:

Emi-chi said...

I don't read blogs as often as I used to (which makes me sad really). But I have been trying to catch up recently. Joel and I are planning on starting a blog together, but it might end up being a once a year thing (kind of like a Christmas letter, but online). I'll understand if you stop blogging, but inside I'll be a little disappointed.

Michele said...

Even if you update it once a year, I'd love to read it. I've decided I will stay on with the blog. I think I like writing too much. I'm going to try not to get too opinionated, but I might do 2 or 3 editorial type posts right away to get it out of my system. If it gets too whiny I would appreciate knowing as I don't want to "lose my audience". I'm thinking about just doing one photo per blog post?...well, we'll see, I probably won't stick with that. I suppose we'll see what the year brings.