Thursday, March 28, 2013
Stirring the Pot
There's quite a lot of controversy out there lately so of course I have put in my two cents worth too. The debate appears to be a love versus hate debate. If that's the case then why are a handful of churches opposed? God teaches love so why are we even having an argument about who can be married and who can't? God also said marriage is between a man and a woman. Why the conflicting commands? It can all get so confusing. I believe in love and I believe in God. Those are not conflicting beliefs. However, when I get confused I choose to follow God and hope He helps me figure things out along the way or I trust He will eventually let us know. There have been a handful times where this has worked really well for me and by obeying first I begin to understand. These are sacred moments to me so I'm not choosing to share them here. I also want to stay focused on my main point.
Here's my personal thoughts and opinion- Churches (in general) are not opposed because they hate (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is not opposed to civil unions). I think it comes down to this, most religions, I know mine for sure, views marriage as a covenant with God. Very much like baptism. A covenant is a two way promise. When getting married a couple makes promises to/with God and God also promises specific blessings. A covenant is a very sacred religious action with God. Does a government have the right to tell a religion who can make covenants with God? God writes the contract for a covenant. Why he says what He does is not the point of this post so I'm not going to get into that. Does a government have the right to tell religions who can get baptized? I think this might be the real "debate" for religions who are opposed to homosexual marriages; that the government does not have the right to tell a religion what it must do and believe. It might seemed far fetched to think that is what the government is doing, but for me, knowing an 11 year old Minnesota girl is now getting hate mail because she publicly said why she is thankful for both a mom and a dad; it's called bigotry instead of gratitude? Maybe it is a legitimate fear? A different perspective to think about anyway.
Because I think this is the root of the debate, here's my solution. Why not for all legal and government purposes have everyone get a civil union?- men & men, women & women, men & women. Let churches perform their covenants. Baptism isn't a legal government certificate so why not have marriage be it's own certificate too for churches and civil union be the government term and the government legal document? Couples could get legally united and then go to their chapel or temple and make that sacred covenant there. Then a religion still has the right to decide for that religion God's requirements for His covenants. Being united together is different than the covenants we make with God. I understand that might be why homosexual couples want those blessings and commitments too, but that has to be taken up with God not the government. For legal and tax purposes I'm for all couples having a civil union.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yup. This probably won't make everybody happy, though. The word marriage is far too ingrained in society. Calling it anything else would upset a lot of people. I agree, though. I also wonder how long it would take to go through all the laws and edit the wording to say "civil union" instead of "marriage" or whatever. That's why the ERA was created. Too many laws to just go through and change each one specifically.
Post a Comment