Friday, April 5, 2013

this weeks updates

Easter came a little too soon for me this year.  We didn't get out any spring decorations or anything. I'm blaming it on being snowy up until the day before when we had a big thunder and rain storm that washed most of it away.  I'm almost sad because I had made it the highlight of Easter in my mind to take a picture of the snow on the ground with the Christmas lights plugged in.  It's been too cold to take them down=they are frozen there.  Since it rained I didn't get my winter Easter picture and while the snow is mostly gone and the sun has been shining it has still only been in the 30's.  I suppose it's at least looking hopeful for spring to eventually arrive.  Don't send me flower pictures to cheer me up.  I just don't need to know other places are happily blooming away.  We did hunt for eggs (inside) and we had a nice time.
Monday I learned why some people think it's good to be friends with your kids' friends on Facebook.

There is a part of me that just really didn't want to know; because now what?  He shouldn't be doing that, but he knows that, and so what kind of consequence can I really give?  If it wasn't my kid I'd think it was awesome.  His friend did a great job with the photo- making it look like an actual Facebook meme- she could have even said something like "Ugh, Deacons" and maybe people wouldn't have even thought she made it?? and every Mormon would laugh because Deacons are 12 and 13 old boys and known for being a little well, hard to control?  I could totally blame someone else who is an adult who knows a thing or two about construction in public buildings who took him through the church awhile ago and showed him how to find where the beams are and a bunch of other really cool stuff that boys would like to know about ceilings and buildings.  I think this adult was trying to be helpful though because well, let's just say it isn't the first time this un-named person has been in the church ceiling.  Bringing us back to, how am I supposed to discipline this situation?  It was funny once but can't keep happening?  That's kind of just encouragement.  Anyone who knows the earlier generation of Holcomb children knows a Holcomb will do just about anything to get a laugh.    I can't even just blame the Holcomb side tho.  I mean, here's my brother after my mom said, "While I'm gone please vacuum the entire house"

Nope.  These are the kinds of things moms should find out about at family reunions 10+ years later.

Tuesday Henry came home and told us a friend of his at school told him "If you were a girl I would so have a crush on you".  More from Henry's world:  He has decided that if he ever actually meets Scarlet Johansen (Black Widow, who he has a crush on right now) she will undoubtedly break up with her boyfriend if she has one because her boyfriend is probably old like in his 30's and he (Henry) is way cuter than some old guy.

Wednesday (and Thursday) I saw some baby foxes peaking their heads out of their den while on my walk.  Luckily our dog didn't notice.  I think next time I'm going to take my video camera, because it has a better zoom lens than my regular camera and see if I can get a picture.

Thursday the traffic lights were broken on the way to school.  Traffic was backed up and there was a policeman directing traffic so that was kind of an exciting start to the day.

I've decided that April I am going to spring clean and also clean out every space in our house.  I'm not going to schedule anything that isn't absolutely necessary so that I can devote time to this project. I'm going to get rid of a bunch of stuff.  If you can name something I have that you want I am probably in the mood to give it to you so now would be a good time to ask. ;-) 
What? It just started snowing...  :-/ 
I'm also thinking it would be a good idea to change our family room into a study- so even my couches are up for grabs.  We'll see.  Some major reorganizing is in order and I'm feeling ruthless.  I am starting off nice though- Brian is allowed to go through his stuff before I do-- I have always thought I never wanted to be "the wife that throws her husband's (or children's special) things away" and I have never thrown anything of Brian's away, but...after nearly 20 years...neither has he. So it's time for some things to go.  (Mom, if you see me at your doorstep in May you will know why and won't need to ask--just kidding).

Last Saturday (the 30th) evening was a treat.  I went to the General Young Women's Broadcast and my sister was an extra in a video made for it!  It was way awesome!  I saw her sleeve! ;-)  I leaned over to Ana and whispered, "Ohp, I think that's Melissa's green sleeve!" and she said, "Uh, ok" Then I said, "Oh! There's her back and her hair!  I'm pretty sure that's her!"  Ana, "Uh, how can you even tell?"  Me:  Well, I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was"  Then, "OH!  That's Melissa!  On the left! The half face that's blurred out!"  Ana:  Smiling and shaking her head, "O. K. I don't think I even saw that...How could you tell?  It went way too fast"  It was the highlight of my evening ;-)
I'm including the link in case you want to watch it.  It's about an hour, so if you don't want to watch the whole thing you can skip to right after the second speaker.  You should definitely listen to the last speaker, President Uchtdorf, he is one of the twelve apostles and his message to the youth was amazing.  Anytime an apostle mentions Bilbo Baggins you know it's got to be good. ;-)  So even if you don't want to watch for my sister (aw c'mon), you should listen to President Uchtdorf's message.  You will not be disappointed.

If you love it and want more this weekend is General Conference and I am so excited for it.  I think we might set up a fort or tent or something in the living room.

2 comments:

tonya said...

OH MY CRAP! hahahahahah to both photos. I can't wait until Mike gets home and I can tell him to check this out. :) My kids are laughing (ok, my boys, I don't think Emily would laugh). This goes past Ramona Quimby's father telling her that his grandma said "once is funny, twice is annoying and third time is a spank" or whatever it says like that. Good luck. It is lucky I have fraidy cat kids. ;)

sweetlissybug said...

Oh, my goodness. All I can say is wow. I think Tonya's line up there is great. Once is funny. But now he can stop it. Maybe he will be a building inspector on day. Then he can do that all the time.
Also, if you could get your couches here, I would take them. Now I understand all your posts about them. I'm behind in reading blogs.
Also, that wasn't my shoulder, or the back of my head (that I could tell), but that was a blurry half of my face which is even cooler because then you know it's me. ;) And you can go to lds.org and just watch that part. It's called Standing in Holy Places. You go to the YW General Broadcast and click on the title. Thanks for plugging me. :D You're awesome.
And I concur. Anytime you mention Bilbo Baggins in a talk, you have my attention. :)